Summer Reading is just about to start! I suppose one could say that "spring reading" is about to give over to "summer reading". Certainly, the reading never stops around here! If you enjoy making kids' summer reading special I hope you find this summer reading list of books, literacy resources, activities and tips useful.
There is something so wonderful about reading on hot, lazy days. Do you and the kids participate in a summer reading program? Do you like to plan out your reading in advance, or do you just play it by ear? (Note: this post contains affiliate links)
Summer Reading Lists
Most of my summer reading book lists are arranged by general age level, and for families who like to share books, I have loads of suggestions for family read aloud time. Don't see what you are looking for? Email me and I will steer you towards the appropriate book list! erica [at] whatdowedoallday [dot] com.
- Beginning readers summer book list
- 4th grade summer reading book list (ages 8-12)
- 5th grade summer reading book list (5th grade list)
- Upper elementary summer reading list (ages 6-10)
- Nonfiction summer reading book list for kids (ages 8-12)
- Classic summer reading list for tweens (ages 9-13)
- 6th grade summer reading with a global theme
- 7th grade summer reading book list (diverse books)
- Summer reading chapter books to read aloud
- Summer read alouds the whole family will love
- Picture books for summer read alouds
And don't forget, I have over 200 book lists, so if one of the above lists doesn't suit your child, be sure to check out the archives and the index of all our book lists here:
Summer reading lists on other sites:
- New York Public Library: 100 great children's books
- Brooklyn Public Library: reading lists for kids ages 0-100
- The Horn Book: reading lists, divided by age
- School Library Journal "Invitations to Imagination": list for K-3
Summer Reading Activities
- Summer literacy ideas that don't use a book!
- Library coloring page and reading log
- Summer reading bookmarks to color
Summer reading activities elsewhere:
- Summer reading book activity calendar (Growing Book by Book)
- Summer reading BINGO (Kidding Around Greenville)
- Guided reading topics for each day with a printable calendar (No Time For Flash Cards)
- Summer reading bucket list (No Time For Flash Cards)
- Make your own snazzy book log (Eighteen25)
- Printable summer reading kit (How Does She)
- Host a summer reading kick off party (teachmama)
- Darling printable bookmarks (Picklebums)
- 10 weeks of summer reading activities -- I love this one! (Reading Rockets)
Summer Reading Programs
- The first stop should be your local public library!
- Scholastic's website and facebook page have book suggestions and activities.
- Barnes and Noble: read books to get a free book at participating stores
Summer reading tips
- How to choose early chapter books
- How to help young children love chapter book read alouds
- The best reasons to read aloud to older kids
- How to read books yourself without neglecting your kids
Great summer reading advice elsewhere:
- Quiet reading tips (Mom with a Lesson Plan)
- How to keep summer reading fresh (teachmama)
- Tackling school reading lists during the summer (PBS Parents)
- Tips for parents (Reading Rockets)
I share book lists every Monday, so if you don't want to miss out, be sure to add yourself to our weekly newsletter list.
Happy summer reading!
If your kids would rather watch a YouTube video than read, show them this one: