Is the weather where you are allowing you to enjoy spring, yet? It is supposed to snow today! Nevertheless, I am dreaming, dreaming, dreaming about these simple spring activities and getting outside to explore nature with the kids.
As you know, I want all my kid activities to be easy. Easy, easy, easy. There's a lot of pressure out there for parents to do the perfect craft activity or sign their kids up for structured learning classes. However, letting kids explore on their own terms is the best way to learn and have fun.
I am stating the obvious, I know.
Still, (for me at least) it's quite helpful to have reminders about simple experiences I can seek out share with my boys. So in between working on my garden and crafting beautiful paper plate birds (just kidding!), I use these no prep ideas as a spring-board (pun!) for inspiration.
Plus, Spring is a GREAT time to break out of your mom funk so you will be at your best with the kids all year! I adore this 7 day challenge from Amanda, a mental health therapist (and best of all it is free!!): Click here to --> BANISH THE MOM FUNK
Spring Activities with the Kids
- After the rain, rescue worms. In our city park after a storm, the park paths are littered with earthworms. Sounds gross, but the kids love picking them up and placing them back on the grass.
- Look for bird nests (or help them build one).
- Tote along the camera on your next walk and go on a photographic color scavenger hunt.
- Hunt for crocus or snowdrops peeking up out of the ground. Get silly and shout "I see spring!" when you see one.
- Put on rain boots and splash in puddles.
- Go bird watching. Spring is the start of migration season.
- Play in the mud with sticks (or dandelions).
- Collect sticks and leaves.
- Collect rocks (and then read books about them).
- If the grass is dry (or if you're wearing a rain coat), roll down a hill.
- If you have enough flowers blooming yet, pick a bouquet for your dining table.
- Close your eyes, lie on your back with your face turned up to the sun and just.... listen.
Don't forget to BANISH THE MOM FUNK. You'll be delighted once you discover your best FUNKLESS self.
MORE SEASONAL FUN: