Family time often means game time, but not everyone likes board games. Or perhaps there is no game at home suitable for all ages. Along with yesterday’s creative indoor family activities, these fun indoor family games are good alternatives when everyone is stuck inside. All of these are super simple so players of all ages can learn quickly, and much less rowdy than our indoor ball games!
Because these games don’t require special supplies, they are perfect for last minute ideas. Indoor family games are great to have on hand when the weather is not conducive to herding everyone out to play a rowdy game of football. Remember, not all family games need to be competitive. In fact, they are often more fun when everyone cooperates towards a common goal. (Note: this post contains affiliate links.)
You may be thinking that these seem like games for kids. Well, they are! But adults with flexible mindsets will enjoy them too. Who doesn’t want to enjoy life just like a kid again.
Here are 14 family time ideas to get you started:
- Try one of these five Thinking games, which are a fun way to pass the time and can be played instantly.
- Play Mad Libs! My kids and I like to play this at the dinner table.
- Start a drawing game. One person starts by drawing a shape on a piece of paper and passing it to the next player, who adds to it. Keeping passing around the drawing until everyone has a turn (if it’s a large group), or for a predetermined number of times (if it’s a small group). This can be played with as many players as you wish.
- Play hide and seek. It’s not just for kids! Kids love to find the grown-ups!
- Try a pencil and paper game, like Dots and Boxes. (<— There’s a video with instructions in that post.)
- Play hot potato.
- Play an old school game of spoons!
- Play Simon Says.
- Play a guessing game: put an assortment of items on a tray, everyone tries to memorize the items. Everyone closes their eyes then one person removes a few items and players try to guess what was removed. I even have tons more memory games ideas.
- Everyone has a deck of cards. Try one of these 40 games to play with cards!
- Do you have an overflow of paper cups? Divide into teams and see who can make the highest tower without it falling over.
- Set up dominoes to make a domino run!
- Play simple Minute To Win It style games.
- Pull out a 1000 piece puzzle. If you have room, set up several puzzles for different skill levels.
MORE: Does your family like to laugh? Try one of these Creative Indoor Family Activities.
Are you able to draw a simple board game and gather a few do-dads to play some fun games from around the world? Start with these:
- Dara (a three in a row game with a twist!)
- Pentalpha: have a race to see who will in the family will solve the puzzle first!
- Len Choa: a leopard and tiger hunt game
I also have 35 indoor games for kids, perfect for when the weather gets bad and you are trying to keep the kids busy so you can actually get something done!
These waiting games will tickle the brains of the whole family!
Do you prefer board games and want to stock your game closet for future family game nights? Check out our favorite games with tips for playing with young kids at the table.
What are your favorite indoor family games?
P.S. When you are able to get outdoors try these —> Outdoor Family Games