Today we made an ocean in a bottle! As you know, I've been preparing some after-camp activities for my son to keep him busy while his brother naps. Since we had so much fun with watercolor pencil seashell art, we are continuing with the seashore theme. As you can see, books about the sea were an important addition!
Kiddo likes to read instructions so I wrote some out. Granted, this was an activity that required my help at the onset, but the completed ocean provided much entertainment.
As we were walking back from the library later that afternoon Kiddo said he "needed to get back to his ocean in a bottle." (Note: affiliate links below.)
- Put glitter* and shells in plastic bottle. If you haven't been to a beach lately, you can get tiny seashells here.
- Use funnel and fill bottle half-full with water.
- Add a few drops of blue and/or green coloring.
- Pour oil in bottle an inch or so. clear oil like this is best, otherwise your ocean will be a bit yellow.
- Screw cap on tight (secure with glue or tape, if desired)
- Swish bottle back and forth to watch the waves!
Watch the video!
*Note: I no longer suggest using glitter. Glitter is tiny pieces of plastic that eventually ends up in the tummies of birds and sea life.