It seems a little odd to offer a list of indoor activity prompts for pretend play when kids are experts at coming up with their own ideas. Nevertheless, we all need a little inspiration now and again.
After school is a great time to let the kids have a little freedom and engage their imaginations. We all know by now that the best learning takes place during these “off hours.”
- One of my favorite things to do is set up bizarre, illogical scenes (like the one you see in the photo above) for the kids to find when they come home after school. My 4 year old especially is drawn to them. He investigates the mise en scène and usually creates his own story about what is happening.
- My kids’ imaginations usually revolve around indoor play with trains and cars!
These folks also have some great ideas:
- Felt Apple Pie Pretend Play at The Pleasantest Thing
- Pretend Play Post Office at Buggy and Buddy
- Pretend Play Science Lab at No Time For Flash Cards
- Make a Pretend Play Stethoscope at Fantastic Fun and Learning
- Sailor Pretend Play at NurtureStore
- Camping Play Indoors at Let’s Lasso the Moon
- Design Your Own Money for Pretend Play (printable) at Picklebums
- Detective Pretend Play (dusting for fingerprints) at Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Hospital Role Play at The Imagination Tree
- Pretend Play Library at The Pleasantest Thing
- Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Play Dough for a pretend tea party at No Twiddle Twaddle
- Mama Smiles has a wonderful post on why pretend play is important and you must watch the short and sweet video of her kids having a grand time!
Do your kids have a favorite pretend play activity? How do your kids spend their indoor time after school? Don’t forget to peruse our giant list of indoor activities for kids for further inspiration.