This month our favorite game is perfect for preschoolers but my 8 year old loves playing it, too.
Chickyboom is a balancing game with a simple, but brilliant concept. During game play, kids will intuitively develop their understanding of how balance works, exercise their fine motor skills and practice counting. It also teaches cause and effect and develops coordination. (Affiliate links are used below.)
How to Play ChickyBoom:
The instructions for Chickyboom are simple. Players load chicks, hay bales and wagon wheels onto a platform which is then balanced on a support. Taking turns, players remove pieces, one at a time until the the board becomes unstable and slides off with a "boom!" Each piece is marked with a point value, representing its proportional weight. The player with the most points at the end wins.
Special Considerations for Game Play:
- Game play takes only minutes.
- Loading the board is easier if done off the support.
- A grown-up or older child with steady hands is required to set the loaded balancing board on top of the support.
- Kids will learn about balance when they experiment with different placement of the pieces on the balancing board.
- Game play without scoring is just as satisfying as keeping score.
- This game is best for ages 4 and up. Older 3s may also be able to play.
- After playing the game, most preschoolers will love using the pieces for pretend play!
Playing with Toddlers at the Table:
- Unless your older children are extremely patient, I don't recommend playing Chickyboom with toddlers, but...
- Toddlers will love watching and shouting "boom!"
- Toddlers will love playing with the pieces on their own with supervision. (Not in the mouth, please! The game is recommended for ages 4 and up.)
Have you ever played Chickyboom?